I signed up for this year’s challenge in the hope it would motivate me to more regular writing. With a number of posts written in March and scheduled for the April A-Z Challenge, it was an encouraging start. Planning was going well.
Then COVID-19 hit close to home with state borders closing which ejected us from our hazy cocoon and to make some responsible decisions. The A-Z Challenge theme went west along with travel plans as we found a place to call home for the duration.
Plans got scuppered, along with the travel theme, posts went up willy-nilly, mostly at the eleventh hour, and largely unedited. I broke rules. You know the ones: write and revisit 24 hours afterwards; edit, edit and edit again; if you’ve got ten paragraphs cull, cull, cull. No adverbs, no adjectives blah, blah, blah. Mrs Fleming, you did your best and look at what happened.
The good stuff:
- All posts eventually made it up
- Visits to QP & Eye increased with an average of 28 visits each day with the 10th April peaking at 78
- Engagement with commenters
- Visits to other participants, reading and leaving comments
- Moving away from the theme and not knowing from day to day what I would write about
- Lack of routine and fitting in time to write, read and comment
- The distraction of being in new surroundings
- Remembering to post links to the Facebook Group
Things I noticed:
- We can achieve way more than we think we can
- Posts written on the fly were a lot of fun and I enjoyed the stream-of-consciousness/randomness of how they turned out
- The journey is more exciting than the destination because then what.
- Kindness is the rule rather than the exception
- The tweaks make all the difference to how a post is presented and received
- I tended to stick with bloggers I have been following for some time as an opportunity to engage in a more meaningful way
- As in previous years, the challenge always tests my endurance and perseverance
- There is always something to discover things about myself based on the desire to make it to the chequered flag
This year’s A-Z Posts are here.
So tell me, how was April for you? And if you participated in the A-Z Challenge how did that go?